Wednesday 6 June 2012

OT Bio: Les Smith of Northern BC


Les Smith is a member of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapist-British Columbia Transition Team. He is also former president of BC Society of Occupational Therapists (BCSOT) 

How did you get involved with Occupational Therapy?
I first learned about Occupational Therapy (OT) from my sister who is a Physiotherapist (PT). She had a roommate at university who was an OT. They both took the time to explain to me the difference between OT and PT and I thought being an OT suited my way of thinking better. I attended Queen’s University, graduating in 1991. It was here that I met three very inspiring OTs – Margot Patterson, Robyn Stadnyk and Tina Pranger – all who had a great influence on me. They taught me how to think like and to understand what it meant to be an OT. I have worked as an OT for the past 21 years, but have been involved with the profession for about 25 years.

Where do you practice?

I work at the Child Development Centre of Prince George and District currently. I have two
roles. I am the occupational therapist for school aged children covering the positioning and mobility service and home/community care. I am also the Director of Programming, overseeing all clinical programs (OT, PT, SLP, Early Childhood Education, Supported Child Development and Family Services). This position also entails human resources and fundraising duties.

What are your passions?

Outside of work I primarily like to spend time with my wife, who is also my best friend. I enjoy recreational kayaking, biking, golfing, reading and cooking. Research is also an interest of mine, and if I was to pursue a research project, there are two ideas I would like to explore: Urban/rural differences in access to paediatric (re)habilitation services; and Characteristics of rural rehabilitation practitioners compared to urban rehabilitation practitioners. My newest project is participating in a committee dedicated to creating a legacy for health and rehabilitation in northern BC following the 2015 Canada Winter Games that are to be hosted by the City of Prince George.

Why are you involved in the CAOT-BC Transition Team?
As the former President of BCSOT, I have been involved with the transition from
BCSOT to CAOT-BC from the start. I believe it is important to follow up on the process I
helped to start. It is also important to be able to help others in the process to understand
where it began and to provide some continuity.

Favorite Tips or Tricks?

The biggest tip I can give any OT that works with positioning and mobility equipment
is to take the time to learn about the equipment and don’t be afraid to get your hands
dirty. When I say learn about the equipment, I mean that you shouldn’t be afraid to take
something apart and put it back together or to see how it works. That is really important!

Also, remember that life is not a linear journey. In the words of Yoda, “To reach our
goals, a straight path we will not follow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment