Monday 28 November 2016

cOnnecT with Allison Patterson


Interview with Allison Patterson, CAOT-BC Advisory Committee member 2016-2018

Why did you choose OT as a career?

I knew that I wanted to work in health care, but wasn’t sure of which discipline or area. I entered UBC at 17 in the science faculty. I considered medical lab science and then applied and was accepted for pharmacy in my 2nd year. A week into my pharmacy studies and I knew it was a poor fit. I spoke to the Dean and fortunately another student was able to take my place. I spent the next year working as a pharmacy assistant (oh, the irony) and doing some career counselling and volunteering. I started hearing about occupational therapy and realized I had a friend who just entered the program and a family friend who was an OT. Prior to this, hearing occupational therapy was like hearing the adults talk in Peanuts- I didn’t know what it was so, I just nodded and carried on! Luckily through career counselling and volunteering at Peace Arch Hospital I learned more about OT and I saw the potential as a career.
I applied for OT at UBC and had to scramble to get the final pre-requisites. I remember my application interview where I tried my best to talk about self-care, work, and leisure and using activity as treatment. I was accepted into the UBC OT program in September 1991, one of 35 lucky students. I remember the welcome events that first day and looking around and realizing that I was home – I belonged there.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I have enjoyed a lot of variety in my career, all with the same employer (currently named Island Health) in beautiful Victoria. I spent most of my clinical life in residential care where I developed skills and a love for assistive technology and seating. I was fortunate to work as a Practice Resource OT in Residential Care while carrying a clinical caseload.
In 2008, I moved into a supervisory position as a clinical coordinator with our Seniors Health program.
Since 2014 I’ve been involved in the development of the electronic health record at Island Health.
This year I moved into a new position as a clinical educator/project role with acute care therapy services in Victoria.

What has been your most interesting job?
I really enjoyed my work with assistive technology and seating, especially with clients with complex neurological conditions. Helping someone be more comfortable and able to participate in activities is so rewarding. I like the challenge and the gifts of technology. I was able to do a lot of work with coaching other therapists to learn seating assessment and treatment skills. It was very rewarding to see other therapists blossom in their own practice and help their clients achieve goals.

What do you like about OT?
I love the holistic view of OT. I loved getting to know what was important to my residents/clients.
I think OTs are natural leaders and we are being recognized for that over the past 10 to 15 years. I see more OTs in leadership positions and hear that our skills and perspective is valued. I’m not sure if it is our training, or our temperament, but we need to keep pushing forward and making contributions- both clinically and in leadership.

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?

I’m proud to be an OT and feel it is a professional responsibility to contribute to the profession, whether it is by having students, by mentoring new staff, or volunteering with our professional organizations. I’ve been a member of CAOT since I was a student and have volunteered many times over the years. I have taken part in writing exam questions for the OT exam, joined the organizing committee for the CAOT conference in 2013 (in Victoria), and recently visited the BC Legislature with CAOT-BC. Like most volunteering, I feel I get as much as I give.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
I’ve been lucky to talk to many people who are considering occupational therapy as a career. I am always happy to describe the many areas of practice for OT. From working with tiny pre-term infants, to people at the ends of their lives, in the public health system, private practice, or industry. I’m always excited to answer questions and give my interpretation of OT. It’s an art, it’s a science, and it is a GREAT career.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering)
I enjoy mucking in my garden, reading (I’m in 2 book clubs), hiking, and spending time with friends and family. I’m married (to my then-boyfriend from OT school days) and we have 2 children, aged 12 and 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment