Wednesday 29 November 2017

cOnnecT with Carlyn Derksen

Interview with Carlyn Derksen, MOTI representative on the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee 

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
I chose occupational therapy because I knew wanted to work with others. OT allows me to work on interprofessional teams, and collaborate with other professions, learning from them. OT is a client centered profession, which interested me in because you get to be creative by working with a client to best achieve their goals. I chose OT because it promotes lifelong learning throughout your career; through a variety of areas to work, new research being done, and professional development courses are offered regularly.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My favourite thing about CAOT-BC is that we are given up to date information on the profession, and there are so many various seminars (both webinars and workshops) which we can attend as part of our professional development. I love that because it allows further learning in more specific areas, and with up-to-date research.  

Where have you worked over your career? 
Before getting into the MOT program at UBC, I worked as an OTA for 2 years. I worked in adult day programs, long term care and in the community for clients with post concussion syndrome. 

What do you like about OT?
I love the variety. The many areas OTs can work in, I am constantly learning about all the areas we are able to work. I love the variety of approaches you can take with a client, while still being centered on the theories that guide practice.

What do you do when you aren't going to school and volunteering?

Aside from being a student at UBC, you can find me outdoors, whether cycling or climbing or going on walks with friends. I also love finding new coffee shops and a cafĂ© with a good cup of soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment